- WEBSITES. All my favorite places decided to update their look simultaneously*! The Google suite is lookin' fine (sorry Justin). Groupon adapted itself to be more visually appealing. I'm JUST NOW noticing Pandora's change (sorry P, I got hooked on ITunes' Genius mixes for a while! SORRY), which is gorgeous. Yes, the new newsfeed on FB is a tad excessive, but may I say I am totally psyched for Timeline. It's going to be clutch. Also mad props to PGCPS for finally hiring some sort of marketing/communication/PR/social media/website facelift team! You guys did an amazing job! Our new look is completely svelte and sexy without that incredibly goofy foam finger-esque KIDS ARE #1 or whatever. And good old Citibank! I know we've had our differences, but your website is finally leaving 1999 territory! Good for you!!!
- MY JOB COMPARED TO PREVIOUS YEARS. Holy smokes. Every day when I leave school, I feel like I just got there. I spend my days coordinating meetings, having meetings, dealing with emergencies, fixing other people's mistakes, and every once in a while, making and fixing my own. I don't mind the work! I quite enjoy it! But I can't do that AND teach children. Days go by where I didn't go into a single classroom at all. When people say they need more hours in the day, I think they mean it a little differently than I do. I don't mind doing the (not-as-urgent) emails, logs, notes, and plans at home (for now); I need the working hours to be longer. I need children and staff in the building for more hours! I need everyone all together, available for longer. Sigh. It's like I'm the foreman, but I also have to do some of the construction myself alongside everyone else. Also, you know how all I want to do is manage the fun and success of students? And how I compulsively volunteer for things when no one else does? Put those together and imagine how much I want to volunteer to be the still-unfilled chairperson for awards ceremonies, or of something called character education! IMAGINE HOW MUCH. The answer is SO MUCH. But I am not letting myself! Because that would officially be biting off more than I can proverbially chew. And I am SO SAD. Next year, I reassure myself! Next year I'll have a handle and literally max out the emoluments I can get at one instructional leadership role and two clubs/committees. One fine day!
- THE WEATHER. I think I'll start fasting now to make room for all the apple pies I'm going to make Justin make me.
- CONFIDENCE. Gosh. I've gotten so much more confident in the last year or so, and it's accelerating again! I am officially not terrified of the Jam Cellar anymore! I am honing my 'management' skills to be pleasant, helpful, thorough, yet firm and maintain high expectations. I'm starting to buy more real clothes instead of convincing myself I should stick with that awkward polyester blouse that was a hand-me-down from a stranger via a 50-year-old former housemate. Not sure how I can verbalize how that ties in with confidence, but trust me, it does. Relatedly, one of my goals for this school year is to always feel like I look good. Isn't that odd? Shouldn't that be a given? Alas! I've left the house more often than I care to admit feeling really uncomfortable with what I was wearing, like a middle schooler trying hard to believe she looked okay and not completely stupid. And then I'd get to school and pass myself in a window or mirror and be like UGH WHY DID I WEAR THIS and it would make me mad all day long. Well, NO MORE
- TASTE IN MUSIC. Fortunately, this isn't 'change' so much as 'expand' which is obviously still change but not one in place of another. I've started to love jazz outside of swing dancing! Here's a track I've had on repeat for so long, I finally broke and made a Pandora station out of it. Oh man.
- And finally FINISHING TOUCHES. You'd think I'd be one of those people who made sure everything had an adorable, perfect finishing touch, right? Every little thing in place? Ironically, you'd be half wrong! For my insanely awesome school projects I did up to and including age 18: totally. For my wedding: yes, absolutely. In decorating the office at school: not so much! Crazy and unlike me, huh! I'm in the process of making sure that everything I do has details to match. The devil, they say, is in them. So like the clothes thing above (the devil is in the ... accessories?), or when it comes to home decor, etc. No more settling for 'good enough'! There is time and reason to make it shine.
*Weather.com JUST BARELY did not make the cut to be included in 'simultaneously.' But they still get a shout-out for joining the 21st century layout a few months ago! Nice work weather.com!
Also, I CAN'T EVEN