Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Full circle

We considered apartments in Alexandria, shacks in Silver Spring, condos in Takoma Park, dumps in District Heights and Temple Hills, sprawling yards in Upper Marlboro, rolling gravelly hillsides in Bowie, and townhouses anywhere.   I tried to make Mt. Rainier and Hyattsville appealing.  He wanted to go farther to countryside, I wanted to go closer to friends and the city.  We both wanted a dog.  We toured and laughed and took notes and pictures and explored and found new hidden treasures with friends.  As we drove out the hours and hours for miles and miles, I remembered that there are plenty of for sale signs in our own backyard (ha!).  Why not here?, I planted.  He dismissed it, I went dancing, I came home and he was super psyched about finding our own little nook of Lanham.  It already was, and still is, the best and most reasonable of all compromises.  With family to the rescue, our meager budget (and lot size) can actually go pretty far in this totally acceptable community bridging city 20-somethings and country 60-somethings. 

After all that, we came back here.  If that isn't a metaphor for life, I don't know what is!

Also: SINGING.

No comments: